Hello Secret Pal! Here you go!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I love Lorna's Laces, Socks That Rock, Mountain Colors Bearfoot, any superwash wool, Silk. I've haven't tried any Noro yet or bamboo, but it is on my must-do list! I'm reeeally addicted to sock knitting right now, but I do branch out and do other projects every once in awhile. Fibers that I absolutely don't like: one word (or is it two?) 100% acrylic. Squeeky yarn freaks me out ;P
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? haha!! Right now they reside in a big jumble in a plastic tub in my bedroom!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned how to knit when I was 7, from my mom and my grandmother. I kept with it for a few years, then discovered boys. It was all downhill from there. Just kidding! I picked it back up seriously, about a year ago. I would consider myself an intermediate knitter. I can perform all the stitches (whether they're correct or not, who knows!), I can make socks, sweaters, etc., but have yet to attempt a "true" lace pattern. When I say "true", I'm talking something out of the book, A Gathering of Lace, with laceweight yarn. I attempted the Super Spiral Shawl a few months ago and it didn't go so well :) I'm working a lace pattern now, but it's a bit different with worsted weight yarn! I'm now wondering if I really know what I'm talking about... :)
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yup. Here it is: http://amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=yourlists_pop_1/104-7916770-5060761
I also have an eQuilter.com wishlist: I think all you have to do is enter my email address to do a search.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)My favorite scent is Nag Champa. I also like Lavender, Warm spicy scents, Apple, Creamsicle, Vanilla mixed with other fragrences. The only scent that I really don't care for is a heavy floral.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I'm not a big fan of candy or chocolate. I do love coffee, though. It's a must have every morning in my house!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I sew. I've been making bags and clothes for my family lately. I also quilt, do cross-stitch, dye yarn, do beadwork, and yes, I am learning to spin. Whew!!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)I listen mainly to folk/acoustic rock- Ani Difranco, Rusted Root, Ray Lamontagne, anything bluegrass, I also like "bluesy" music, new age and celtic instrumentals. I think my computer could play a burned CD.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I just plain ol' love color. The only colors that I don't care for are pastels and plain grey. Grey is a nice complimet to other colors, just not alone.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am a stay-at-home mom. My son is almost 19 months old and is the joy of my life. My boyfriend's name is Jack and he is a wonderful father and partner. We have one cat. His name is Sam- he's a 13 year old siamese and is sweet as can be.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Unfortunately, I don't get to wear any of that stuff! Well, maybe once a year when I visit my mom in Tennessee! I really only get to wear the socks and bags that I make. I am going to try linen and cotton one of these days to make a camosaule/tank-top. (sp?)
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks, socks, socks! :P
13. What are you knitting right now? Socks (go figure), a super secret Christmas/Yule gift, a beaded silk/mohair scarf. I'll be starting up another pair of socks shortly.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Handmade gifts are one of my all-time favorite things on this planet. I also believe in using them proudly, rather than just looking at them.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I like both straight and circs. I prefer bamboo and wood, but am dying to try a pair of Addi Turbos (sp?)
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Nope. Hopefully I'll be aquiring them around the holidays *grin*
17. How old is your oldest UFO? 5 months
18. What is your favorite holiday? Halloween, of course!! Better known as Samhain (pronounced Sow-wen)
19. Is there anything that you collect? I'm collecting purple fabric right now for my upcoming patchwork quilt for my bed. I also collect sparkly things- beads, jewelry, junk- I don't really care what it is as long as it shines and I can make something out of it :)
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I would love to try Noro, Glitter Alpaca by Cherry Tree Hill, Cashmerino- Debbie Bliss. Anything really! I've been dying to get my hands on some of Nancy Bush's sock knitting books. I don't have any mag subscriptions, but I do love reading Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I think I'd like to learn how to seam really well. I'd also like to learn Fair Isle.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? My foot circumference is 8" and my shoe size is US9.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) Jan 25th.
Whew!! That's alot of info! My fingers are cramping up!! :P