Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Hooray for Freecycle and People Named Lynne

What's in the suitcase you say?




This!!!




34 skeins of Cashmere Yarn-woo-freakin-hoo!!! (on the right side), 16 skeins of fisherman's wool, and a whole lotta great cotton in blue, white and peach (dishtowels anyone?) I recently signed up for freecycle.org, because I've heard nothing but good about the site and boy, is it good! One benevolent spirit, we'll call her Lynne, posted a bunch of sewing supplies, fabric, lace, yarn, etc. that she was getting rid of, so I immediately sent her a few emails expressing my extreme interest in the stuff. I'm sure you have figured it out, but...she picked me!!! I was so happy, excited, elated, and I was even more excited when she called me later to tell me that she also had a spinning wheel (OMG!!!), a table loom, and a suitcase full of brown cashmere wool- Wow!!! I was so blown away by her generosity. Alot of the material will be made into blankets and warm things for The Dulaan Project . If you haven't heard of this, check it out. This is an excerpt from their site and a picture of a sweet little girl in one of the Mongolian ophanages:




"The Dulaan Project is a cooperative effort of Mossy Cottage Knits, Flagstaff International Relief Effort (F.I.R.E.) and Kunzang Palyul Chöling (KPC) Buddhist community. It provides hand-knit items and fleece blankets to the impoverished people of Mongolia, where it rarely gets above freezing on winter days, and where the temperature can often reach -40°F at night. To survive, many of the homeless live in the heating ducts below the nation’s cities. Our goal for 2007 is 12,086 items, one more than last year."

The cashmere yarn, well, that will be staying with me. I'm going to use that for my dragon shawl...How perfect is that?! I love it when the universe comes together. I've found that the more one selflessly gives, (cashmere being exempt from this theory, of course!) with no expectation of receiving anything in return, the more the universe provides what you really need. It's quite amazing. Whatever philosophy you subscribe to, whatever God you believe in, it doesn't matter...just make sure you give something back and keep putting out the positive energy into the universe.

OK, OK, I'm done philosophizing (is that a word?) A BIG thanks to Lynne! Go check out her blog- she's a reeeeally cool person and she has some great handmade quilts on her site!

3 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, Blogger meg said...

damn, lady! you scored on that one. i'm going to check out freecycle today. i want in on that action ;)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Em said...

Rock on you! How exciting. And you're so kind to offer me some! Too, too kind. I think I'll take you up on any yarn you want to send me.

Except... I 've got my eye on another hank or two on your site (I really love those Christmas-y colors) and think, come December, I could justify another yarn binge. SO maybe you could hold off, for now, and then throw it all in together with my order? Mebbe? Save yourself the shipping and all that? I think my dishcloth fetish could wait a few more weeks.

Taking your yarn to my Sn'B tonight to show off. I've got a friend who's trying to teach more classes at our LYS in the next few weeks to justify a splurge on yo' site.

I LOVED your message about the Universe. I'm right there with you; put out all the good you can and you won't believe what you will reap!

Have a Lurv-ly Turkey Day.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

OMG, that is an amazing haul you have there. congrats. you are such a good person, doing all that knitting for charity.

I couldnt help but see the comment you left Em and (tell me to shut up if this is entirely inappropriate) but if you have too much cotton or any other yarn and are looking a good home for them, I would happily take some off you. I would pay for them ofcourse and only if you have extras...but yeah, just saying.

thank you for the etsy help, you're great. I'm so excited :) happy turkey eating :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home