Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Productivity Rules!

Why yes it does. It's been a very full two days for me. I've been given a jolt of energy, and I am riding the to-do list wave! There is something so gratifying about crossing things off of your list. Yesterday I sewed some buttons on a few shirts, finished hemming curtains for my mom and put them in the mail for her. I also headed down to the local yarn store to pick up a treat for myself- this is what I left with:




There is a skein of Lorna's Laces Sheperd Bulky in Irving Park that will be making it's way across the pond shortly to my Secret Pal in Scotland. I also picked up three balls of Mission Falls 1824 wool- 100% superwash, which will be used to make these nifty mosaic gauntlet gloves which will also be making their way to Scotland. I found the pattern in the Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts Issue, which I highly recommend. There's a plethora of great things to make and give- socks, scarves, a gorgeous felted bag by Nicky Epstein, just to name a few. They also make mention of the book, Knitting for Peace. I have found the charity that I will be sending my first batch of preemie hats to. The project is called Caps to the Capital. Here is an excerpt from their site:

"After Save the Children’s State of the World’s Mothers 2006 report highlighted simple, low-cost practices that could save newborn lives — like warming their heads with a knit or crochet cap — Save the Children received numerous calls and e-mails from Americans around the country wanting to organize their friends and family to knit and crochet caps for newborns in developing countries.

People also asked what more they could do to help newborns in need. As a result of their enthusiasm, Save the Children has partnered with the Warm Up America! Foundation to launch Knitters and Crocheters for Newborns: Caps to the Capital.

Four million newborns die each year within the first month of life — half within the first 24 hours of life. The United States can lead the way in saving these young lives by increasing funding for critical health programs for mothers and newborns.

These babies need more than caps — they need your voice, too.

We are asking knitters and crocheters around the country to take three simple steps to let America’s leaders know they care about saving newborn lives around the world:

Make a cap
Write the President
Unite for newborns"

There is a deadline, so if you are interested, it's time to get a move on! There is an action kit that can be downloaded and a bunch of info about what they are doing. There's even a map that shows how many hats have been sent in from each state so far. Check it out!

Yesterday I also did some dyeing. I picked up my weapons of choice...




...and this is what I ended up with...




I also have to throw in a picture of my guys dressed up in their jack-o-lantern shirts. Awwwww :) Aren't they too cute!?




I hope everyone had a great holiday yesterday and ended up with more candy than you gave away!! (This message sponsored by the American Dental Association) :P

3 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger meg said...

oh i love the results of your dying. great colors. what fun. i've yet to have the urge to dye anything of my own but you make it look tempting.

adorable pic of your guys. that little one is so adorable.

i'm also working with my local girls to knit up some preemie hats.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Em said...

Too much info to digest! Start from the beginning.
Isn't that Holiday Knits mag great? I sent that to my pal- and if the package ever arrives!- I hope she loves it too.
Thanks so much for the info on premie hats. I'll be checking that out as soon as I leave your site- fun and informative!
And those hand-dyed hanks- Brooke- for Pete's sake (or Betsy's or, you know, Miguel's) they're gorgeous! Goorgeous. Knock me down fab.
Great pics of the boyos. They're too cute.
Hope you have a lovely weekend!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

Brooke, you are amazing!! your dying extravaganza is just astounding...when are you putting them up for sale so I can get me some of that ;) I don't even know how I would go about doing that, just amazing!
You are so good to be informing the massed about the premie situation too. I'll be looking it up tout suit!!
And your pal is in Scotland! Yeay for the celts! I've never heard of that Holiday Knits mag before? Do you know where I could pick it up, sounds great.
I finally got round to blogging, phew, wish you would send me over some of that proactive buzz you have going. My to-do list desperately needs some things ticked off!!

px

 

Post a Comment

<< Home