Friday, December 15, 2006

F.O.B. #10: Instructions For Life...

So, I was reading this book a few days ago, called Shaving the Inside of Your Skull, by Mel Ash, and I came across a great idea for an F.O.B. post. Before I get down to that though, let me tell you how great this book is! This is a short description from the back cover:

"This book offers you what you never thought to have- the balding of your brain! Crazy yet classic, it shears away the old think of consciousness, puts Christ on a pogo stick, Buddha in running shoes, and you the reader in a radical revolt from who you were."

Has that piqued your curiosity a little bit?

Well, I came across this section that challenges you to write down 10 short statements summarizing what advice you would give another person, the 10 most important lessons you've learned so far. I thought this would be a nice addition to the F.O.B.

Here goes.

10) It is what it is.

9) Always enter a room with a smile, because it puts others at ease.

8) Material items and money are essentially energy. Energy must have a constant ebb and flow, so make sure you're keeping it going. Give things to people who need them, spend money, don't be a miser (now this doesn't mean max out the old plastic, but you gotta keep it going). By keeping the flow going, you make room in your life for the things you need. Very cool concept that I have found REALLY works.

7) Stay organized. Clutter brings you down.

6) Know how to accept a compliment graciously. (I'm still working on this one sometimes)

5) If it tastes good, well, eat it.

4) Be present. Be in the here and now. Worrying too much about the future can make you miss what's happening now.

3) Try not to regret anything. It serves no purpose.

2) Take time for yourself. Recharge.

1) It doesn't matter what you do for a living. It's who you're being while you're doing it.

I can't wait to see what everyone writes for this one. I could always use some good advice!

I also wanted to share the Kung Fu of Good Deeds philosophy, since we're on the number 10.

Another excerpt from the book:

"On an episode of the TV show Kung Fu, the Master tells Grasshopper, his young student, that if someone does you a good deed, you are in turn obligated to do a good deed to ten others. These ten are then obligated to do ten good deeds apiece. By implementing this simple geometric equation, good deeds will soon flow all over the world. Next time someone does you a good deed, go and do ten more."

7 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Em said...

THIS IS GENIUS!
Did that sound too excited? I'm going to have to think, think, think (as Winnie the P says- have you read the Tao of Pooh- fabulous!) to do this properly.
Thank you for this one!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Ann said...

That book is on my soon to be read list now. I'm looking forward to finding and reading it.
I, also, will have to think on this for a bit before posting.
You have so many good ones - I don't know where to start!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger meg said...

great post, lady!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

Such a phenomenal idea. OK, today is madness but this evening I am sitting down and doing this blog. so good. I shall have no regrets for the blogs I missed but shall remember the fun I had reading everyone elses and carry on from there :) hope all is well with you, drop us a comment when you get a chance and let me know the craic (the goings on, so to speak)!

px

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Em said...

It's done. What a great idea this was. You're a gu-genius as The Hubba would say. Pure gu-genius.

In light of this excellent F.O.B. question, I, your Fearless Leader, deem you Captain Creative of this here BAL.

Take #9, Captain, take it and away with ya.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Peter Bowden said...

You can find more from the author of Shaving the Inside of Your Skull on his website, www.melash.com

;-) Peter

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Thank you Peter! If you read this, I tried to stop by your blog, but I couldn't access it. The info is much appreciated! I'm a big fan of the book :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home