Friday, December 08, 2006

F.O.B. #18 and Eli's Hospital Update

I think I'm a day behind, I'm not really sure, but we got caught up in Eli business yesterday. We had to take him to the hospital for his barium swallow, to x-ray his esophogus. I just got the results this morning that he does have a stricture (scar tissue that is closing up his esophogus, making it impossible to get food down), so we'll be making visits to the hospital starting next week, to dilate his esophogus again.

For those of you who do not know, Eli was born 9 weeks early via emergency c-section, weighing in just under 3 pounds. He stayed in the NICU for 7 weeks and had surgery when he was almost 4 weeks old, to attach his esophogus to his stomach. He had the condition called Esophageal Atresia without a fistula AKA pure Esophageal Atresia. In laymen's terms, his esophagus ended in a pouch right around his breastbone. Any liquid or food that he would try to ingest would stop there, because there was no connection to his stomach. He was fed intravenously for the first few weeks, then through his nose after the surgery. He now can only manage foods that have been blended/pureed and cracker-like foods. The baby on the left shows normal anatomy, which he now looks like. The 2nd one from the left shows what the atresia looked like.



In 1939, they performed the first successful surgery to correct this. I could not imagine the horror of what it must have been like to be a parent of a child with this condition before this time. They literally had to watch their babies starve to death. I'm really not trying to be morbid, it's just a thought that crosses my mind still, about how fortunate we are. So, it has been an ongoing battle to correct this birth defect...I hate those two words, so let's call it his specialness. Due to these upcoming procedures, I have gracefully bowed out of the craft fair and hope to do the next one that comes around.

Well, there's the bummer news. Now I'll attempt my list with what humor I can muster up right now.

These are 18 items that are in my kitchen, but do not belong there...

18. Sunglasses with hologram eyeballs

17. A small can of black playdough

16. One tarnished silver candlestick

15. A box of Crayola crayons

14. 2 ashtrays (we don't smoke)

13. a funnel

12. A box of latex medical gloves

11. A roll of address labels from our last address

10. A black plastic cauldron

9. Cooler full of hair dye

8. Frozen breast milk...what?! Don't worry, it's not there anymore... :)

7. Travel size shampoo

6. Bubbles

5. Tape measure

4. Styrofoam basketball keychain

3. 10 Halloween tea light candles

2. 3 dominoes

1. tweezers...ewww...in the kitchen?

That list was much, much easier :)

4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger meg said...

aww, i hope the little guy does well and has a speedy easy recovery and one day can enjoy all the foods he wants.

the list was funny. you know the latex gloves come in handy for raw meats and such. i use them for that.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger BrookeKnits said...

I'll keep you and Eli in my thoughts and prayers. My son was born premature too. Just one month early (they induced) - he is a fine strapping young man now. Taller than dad and weighs more too. I think he is "model handsom", but I am his mom and somewhat biased. Loved the list. I'll have to check out my kitchen tonight.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

hiya, glad you and yours are well and happy. Eli is such a lucky lad to have a wonderful Ma like you. I was premature too and ikkle :) good luck with the procedure. he could certainly scoff down peanut butter in that photo you posted of him ;)

great list too. couldnt do that one, my kitchen is just too small for anything to fit in it bar the essentials. made up for it today tho!! and posted that swatch i did of yule. its not very big but gives you a sense of how it would look knitted up.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Best wishes on the next hospital visits. It is amazing what doctors can do now. I'll be keeping y'all in my thoughts. Thank you for adding the picture explaining what his situation was. I had never heard of that before.
Again, you guys will be in my thoughts!

Cooler full of hair dye?
I must know - what color?
Bubbles are in my kitchen also. They can be so handy sometimes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home