Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Happy Birthday to Jack

Today is the Day That Will Go Down in Infamy...no not Pearl Harbor...Jack was born today!! Happy birthday to my DB! Don't worry, you're not getting older, just better :)

The Festival of Blogging continues on...AND we have a name for it. We've found our special purpose in life (holy Steve Martin reference) I'm hoping I can keep up :) OK, here we go...19 characters that have tickled my fancy over the years. We could draw our "people" from books, mags, movies, tv shows.

19. It's only fitting that we kick this list off with Navin Johnson (Steve Martin) of The Jerk, because he was born a born a poor black child...

18. Grommit. Need I say more...a dog who knits!! Where oh where can I get one?!

17. Shaun from Shaun of the Dead. I am not a huge fan of zombie movies, but man, this guy was great! How ingenious is it to try to bring down zombies by hurling a copy of Prince's Batman Soundtrack at their heads... "There's no I in team. But there is an I in pie...there's an I in meat pie. And meat is an anagram of team."

16. Sir Ulricht Von Lichtenstein of Knight's Tale...how cool is it that he gets down to David Bowie's Golden Years. If you haven't seen it, you really must check it out.

15. Steve Zissou...Could they have chosen a better actor to play this role? Bill Murray rocks.

14. Morgan Le Fey from the book The Mists of Avalon. She has always been painted in such a negative light, and this book, which is narrated by her, finally gives the reader a glimpse of the Arthurian Legend from the woman's point of view.

13. Alice in Wonderland. Enough said.

12. Danarys the Dragon Queen from the George R.R. Martin series The Song of Fire and Ice. It's been awhile since I've read this series, but she stands out in my memory. How could she not, with two, or was it three, baby dragons.

11. Holly Golightly from Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's. I haven't read the book, but I just adore Audrey Hepburn...I've always wanted those earplugs with tassles and the eyemask with eyes on it.

10. Tim Gunn from Project Runway. I know, I know. He's not a character, but I love him!

9. Willie Wonka, of course. Even though I love Mr. Depp, Gene Wilder will always be my Willie...that just sounds wrong... :P

8. The King of Siam (Ule (sp?) Brennar) from the movie The King and I...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

7. Pete from Pete's Dragon. This is one of my favorite childhood movies and I love him, well, because he's a dragon :)

8. OK- I'm sticking with movies now, because my brain is starting to sizzle...*grin* ummmm...how about....Beetleguise. How can you not love that character?

7. Frankenstein from the movie Young Frankenstein. I love the part where he's on stage with Gene Wilder singing Puttin on the Ritz...priceless!

6. Dracula, played by Gary Oldman. Simply yummy, the younger version of Dracula, that is. Not too fond of the 900 year old model...ewwwww

5. Lily Munster. She always seemed like such a nice mom :) Her housekeeping skills were lacking something though.

4. Rob Roy, played by Liam Neeson. Hooray for men in kilts!

3. Reverend Dimsdale of The Scarlet Letter. I loved the book and really liked the movie with Demi Moore and Gary Oldman.

2. Catwoman, played by Julie Newmar. She was my first version of Catwoman, from watching the tv reruns afterschool as a kid. Loved that series!

1. Rover Dangerfield. This was the animated dog, who was voice-overed by Rodney Dangerfield. It's a pretty obscure film, but he sings a song about peeing on a Christmas Tree and it's stuck with me for years...

Whew...19...that was getting tough towards the end. I like the idea that the number gets smaller as we go! Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings :)




4.

4 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

HAPPY SMURFDAY JACK!! hip hip hurray!!

Hope he has a great day. Lovely list by the by, so much I agree with and wish I had remembered for my list. contemplated putting the tv series Catwoman in, loved her. And Liam Neeson in Rob Roy, oh YEAHH!! You know that DB's Da used to share a flat with Neeson back in London, supposedly calls to visit sometimes. I've yet to be around for one of these visits...will keep you posted ;) Brilliant list!! Shawn of the Dead rocks my world and I personally think is a very accurate portrayal of pop culture in the British Isles right now. 'Shawn' is a great comedian.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Em said...

Happy Burfday Jack! Well wishes and lollipops and candy canes your way.
How could I forget the King of Siam? Is a puzzlement! And, as always, Willie. He's making many a list it seems.
Love the list- rock on for keeping up! Or should I say, Blog On?!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Steve Martin in the Jerk is just classic.
I agree with you on the Willie Wonka thing. I liked Johnny, but Gene is Willie to me too.
I completely concur on Gary Oldman as Dracula.
My Wallace obsessed 3 year old says that I am Gromit. I don't argue with him.
Lastly, the dragon in Pete's dragon is named Elliott. And, by the way, I looked EXACTLY like Pete when I was that age.
Exactly.
Poor little girl/boy.
Loved your list. I could easily make it mine!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Oh man! That's right!! It was Elliot, not Pete!! Oops!! Good save!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home