Saturday, December 30, 2006

My Mom's Shawl

Well, at last I can reveal what I have been working on pre-holiday, for my mom. This was the project that I frogged 4800 stitches on, cried about, threw things across the living room over... finally recovering with the help and encouragement of others and am so happy that I did. Not saying I'd want to do that all over again, but I did learn something in the process...Pay Attention! I mean REALLY pay attention when you're doing a lace pattern!!

Here's a few close-up shots of the pattern. The shawl is called the Stora Dimun Shawl, from the book Folk Shawls, which is a must have book for your library. I used Swish Superwash Merino from Knitpicks, the color: Red Pepper. I really enjoyed working with it, because this was my first official lace shawl, and the thicker yarn helped ALOT, while learning the new stitches and patterns. It's also soooo soft. One thing I especially liked about the pattern itself, were the shoulder shaping rows. They make the shawl sit very nicely upon her shoulders. Ok, Ok, without further ado and anymore blah-blah-blah-ing...


The bottom edge:



A shot from above while I was blocking it:




Whenever we ask my mom what she wants, she tells us anything blue, medium or chocolate. Well, I deviated from the standard this year...just a bit :) and chose to make her a red shawl. My intention being to give her something cheery to wear/look at, on those cold grey winter days. I was extremely nervous about giving it to her after we had a conversation about color (I was already half way through the shawl, post frogging) and she told me that she couldn't wear red. Oh no!! I fretted over it for a few days, Jack did some fantastic reassuring, and when the day finally did come, she was more than pleased by it :) I do believe I saw a few tears and that made eveything worth while...not that I like seeing my mom cry, but you know what I mean! And here she is!




Doesn't she look lovely?




This girl knows how to work the runway!




Ladies and gentlemen...America's Next Top Model!

Hooray! I'm happy that she's enjoying it. She called me yesterday to tell me that she was wearing it and it was keeping her nice and toasty warm :) Now to figure out next year's pressie...

Here's a few lovely's that I finished yesterday. I'm adoring the yellow dafodil one...




When I finished winding up the yarn, I turned around and this is what I saw! There's absolutely no mistaking that he's mine!!


5 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Cary said...

WOW!!! Wow, wow, wow is all I can say! Fabulous job, Brooke and your mom looks GREAT in red!!!

I am making a similar shawl pattern for my daughter right now and know that the classic simplicity of the look fools you into thinking it is an easy pattern, right?

You did a wonderful job (and I am GLAD you are back to computer land! Missed you!)

Hugs, Cary

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger ambermoggie said...

that looks incredible well done Brooke:)

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Em said...

Seriously, Brooke, could you BE anymore talented? There's far too much crafty mojo for one house to contain. And I must agree with Cary, your mom looks gawjus in red.
Very much digging Eli in the socks. He's bringing leggings back. Yeah.
Happy New Year! Can't wait to blog on next year!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Ann said...

THe shawl looks fantastic! Great job!
I do love the way it rests on her shoulders. I'll have to check out the way that one is constructed. I've borrowed that book from my library before. It is a good one.

I think the yellow hank is my favorite one up there too!
I'm a sucker for yellows and greens.

The picture of Eli in the socks is adorable.

Congratulaitons on the shawl. It really does look great!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger meg said...

how freaking cute is eli!! so loving the socks and beatles shirt.

that shawl is fab! your mom looks fabulous in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home