Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Snuggles for Animal Shelters

I was talking to my mom on the phone yesterday and asked her to take a picture of the knitting project she has been working on, so that I could post it and share her story. When I was in Tennessee a few months back, I bought the book, Knitting for Peace. While flipping through the pages, we discovered that there is a need for "snuggles" at many local animal shelters. Snuggles are basically little square blankets that go into the cage with a dog or cat. They provide a soft alternative to the steel cages and hard floors, and give the animals warmth and a soft place to sleep. I think the most interesting aspect is that an animal is more likely to be adopted if it has a blanket in it's cage. Here's the photo she sent me of a few of the snuggles she has knit so far. Hooray mom!! My mom is an animal magnet/lover/stray finder/savior and I think it's so cool that she's doing this for the wee critters.




On a less heroic note, I finished another sock project bag. I know I'm not saving any animals, but it sure did turn out nice and no animals were harmed while making it :P




2 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Em said...

Not that I'm ALWAYS on your site or anything ;-) but what kind of yarn did your Mom use for that project? I was thinking of joining soon and I might get a jump on the knitting now (because, you know, with all the unfinished Christmas gifts, I've got nothin' but time baby). We here at Chez Knitter really heart the idea of some shelter animal Snuggles. Also, what did that hint mean? Thanks for the Snuggles update!
(Subtle enough for you?)

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

I think that is my fav sock project bag so far. that material is beautiful!! you're mammy is a good soul, such a sweet thing to do. never even crossed my mind before, knitting snuggles. interesting fact, cant believe an animal is more likely to be adopted if it has a blanket in its cage...crazy.

will post that swatch pic for you soon. it isnt a very big swatch but i just wanted touch the yarn so badly when I got it, had to do something :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home