Friday, January 19, 2007

Cashmere and Chili...but NOT at the same time!

The great cashmere experiment is successful! I am soooo pleased with the results :) I wish the photo could really show how luminescent it is. It practically glows in your hand...sigh...




Also thought I'd post this photo for Em...Eli is a big fan of Sweet Tart, too!




The bulk of this post belongs to a slow cooker recipe that I'd really like to share. I've made it before and am making it as we speak, for tonight's fiesta. It doesn't have a super fancy title, Slow Cooker Chili, but is tastes soooo good. It isn't very spicy hot (which is perfect for me), so I keep some tobasco on hand for the spicy fans. This recipe feeds 4 with not alot for leftovers, so if you want more, just double up on the recipe. It says it feeds 8, but not in our family!

Ingredients:
1 pound beef boneless round steak, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces (one cup)
1 can kidney beans (15-16 ounces), rinsed and drained
Shredded cheddar cheese if desired

1) Mix all ingredients except bell pepper, beans and cheese in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker.

2) Cover and cook on Low setting for 6-7 hours or until beef and veggies are tender.

3) Stir in bell peppers and beans. Uncover and cook on High for about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with cheese.

prep time: 15 minutes

Tips:
Add corn for chili con carne (mom's suggestion)
Serve with saltines or Tortilla chips
Serve with Mexican beer or margueritas
Buy steak that is cut in thin slices for nice bite size pieces
Only speak Spanish when eating it... hola!!

Holy yummy! Can't wait until later tonight! If anyone has any great slow cooker recipes that they have already tested, I would love to try them. I'm a big slow cooker fan. They make life so much easier AND portray you as a culinary genius :)

6 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger knitwhit said...

The cashmere yarn is beautiful!

I don't have any specific slow-cooker recipes. I tend to limit myself to things like chili, sausage and peppers, etc. I find that if you brown the meat before adding it to the slow-cooker, it has a nicer texture. I know, that does seem like twice the work, but it does make a difference. Also, a heavy hand with the seasonings helps. Otherwise, after cooking for so long the flavor seems blend, or cooked-out, or something.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger knitwhit said...

The population of NJ is something like 9 million. ANYONE could be your evil SP! Lol...

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

Dearest Brooke,

I am sooooo happy to hear about your uncle. Doctors are always getting things wrong or being suprised, which makes me think they're not as reliable as they would like us to think. But that is phenomenal news, I hope his recovery goes well.

I can't believe how busy you have been. reading all your blogs today just makes me feel tired. Your amazing, and Eli with the yarn hair, well I wish I could look that cute nowadays :) I response to that sock knitter shout-out, I would love to help you in anyway I could, so put my name on the list for sock knitters (I know I missed the boat on that one but would love to help).

Well lookafter yourself and enjoy the party tonight!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Em said...

Isn't she beautiful?! Did you get my email on Thursday (about her being a girl and all)?
Yea to BABY YODA! Yea to ELI and his love of Sweet Tarts (could he BE anymore your son? Why do I get the feeling you often walk around the house with hanks of yarn draped around your head?)! YEA to Knatty Knitter being back!
What a great day! Can't wait to natter on with you! Hope all is well there!

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Ms. Knotty said...

Cashmere mmmmm....

Google slow cooker recipes and you will be amazed at what's out there! I have one for Moroccan chicken that's pretty delish and theirs one on the web for Cracker Barrel chicken and rice that I love.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Cary said...

Well Brooke, the crockpot recipe I use most has only 3 ingredients - 1 beef roast (of whatever type or size you have); 1 envelope dry onion soup mix; a generous dollop of plain yellow mustard (couple of tablespoons, maybe?) Let it cook till the meat is done (falling apart) and enjoy! Tried and true for many years...

Love the cashmere! Check out my cashmere experience on my blog, when you get the chance ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home