Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Results Are In

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes regarding Eli's CAT scan. He did really well on Monday, the little trooper that he is. It was a long day, but we made it! His surgeon called this morning with the results, giving us good news and bad news. The good news is that he doesn't have a ring of cartilage in his esophagus, requiring surgical removal. The bad news is that he was diagnosed with Esophageal Dysmotility, which he will have all of his life. Arrrgggg....frustrating...To break it down in laymen's terms, think of how in elementary school, we were told that if we hung upside down and swallowed food, it would still go up to the stomach- well, if Eli did this, it wouldn't work, because he doesn't have the capability in his esophagus to contract and move the food to the stomach. The only way to correct this, is to perform an aggressive surgery, transferring part of his colon into his esophagus, and that simply is not gonna fly. No way, no how, would I put him through something like that at the stage we're in. He's thriving, gaining weight, etc., he's even taller and heavier than a lot of kids his age.

Soooo, I'm starting to save up for The Magic Bullet, which his father has been coveting for months! :) (what is it with men and this Magic Bullet thing-a-ma-jig?) This thing is cool, though. It does all kinds of amazing blender tricks! It even does your laundry...just kidding! Eli will never be able to enter a pie eating contest, but he will learn to adapt. I just want him to have a normal life. The surgeon told me to treat it like a food allergy. Lots of people have different diets, things they can and can't eat. I know things could be much worse and am thankful that he is doing as well as he is, frustrating as it may be to us.

Muchos gracias again, for all the kind emails, comments and support- It means so much to me :)

4 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger meg said...

so glad to hear that it's not all bad. i'm sure with time it will all get a little easier to deal with.

the magic bullet rocks. :)

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Bryony said...

Oooh sweetie, it really is good to know that all he needs is some dietary changes to help him along now. Keep your chin up and rest up a bit now!

Thinking of you all.
xxxx

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger a blossom knits said...

I am so glad that my boyfriend and future prom date is better than expected. Is this surgery for the condition he does have something he can choose to do when he's older?

I just sent the link for The Magic Bullet to the bf. I'm assuming he's already placed an order. ;)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger hdaniels said...

Yay! I finally made an account so I can post on your blog:) I am so glad to hear Eli is going to be ok. My step daughter has prader-willi syndrome and has SERIOUS issues with food (as in not being able to control herself with it- which is MUCH worse than it sounds!) so I can understand where you're coming from. You'll be ok, just take a deep breath and light a candle!! Oh, and thank you Brooke for all your amazing yarn which helped me get the job teaching sock knitting!!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home