Monday, May 28, 2007

Day 4 Part 1: Connemara and County Mayo

I intended to post this yesterday, but it turned into another day in the ER with Mr. Eli. His cast was causing him major discomfort, and of course, it was a holiday, so we got a chance to spend the day with a million other sick and injured children in the germ tube...whew...what a day! He's doing good now- new cast, and hopefully he'll be getting it off on Monday. Yay!

So, here we go with day 4 part 1

The coolest part of our morning, was stumbling across (in my case jumping across) the Quiet Man Bridge.




This bridge was in a beginning scene of the movie The Quiet Man, featuring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I've always had a special place in my heart for the Duke, so this was especially cool :)




This is the view to th e West of the bridge...gorgeous...




My mom and I both agreed that this part of Ireland was THE most beautiful, from what we had seen. Connemara and County Mayo. The scenery became more rugged, the people became kinder, but it definitely got colder!! I think you can see this in the way we are huddling with each other in the picture :) The water behind us is Lough Corrib.




The Maumturk Mountains.




A very rugged sheep, but so handsome. Oh how I coveted his wool...





The next post, will be Day 4, part 2...Ashford Castle!!!! We're off to the park :)

7 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger meg said...

Glad to hear the little guy is doing okay.

The picture with Lough Corrib in the background - so frame it. Gorgeous. Plus, you both look so happy.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger knitwhit said...

Heh heh. She said covet!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Journey To A Shawl said...

Oh, my favorite is you on the bridge picture....very Maureen O'Hara like ;)

But the scenary is astounding!!! Oh my! And wouldn't that sheep share????

Hugs, Cary

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger knitting2relax said...

Glad Eli has a better cast. Sorry you had such an icky holiday.

Once again, thanks for the virtual tour.

What would you do with the wool?

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Well, after having it sent off to a mill for processing and being made into yarn, I would LOVE to knit a traditional Aran sweater with it...sigh...mind you, when I looked at that there sheep over yonder, I could only picture him/her wearing that aforemantioned sweater...not the wool! :P teeb-hee!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Bryony Ramsden said...

Gorgeous - I love the Quiet Man :D Sorry about yet another hospital visit, but at least this one was fairly easy going :/

xxx

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Em said...

These pictures are GORGEOUS. Travel guidebook awesome. Maybe the country will hire you and your mom to tour different places and blog about them to encourage other travelers? Because I'm encouraged!
I agree, the running/jumping on the bridge pictures was the best. Hoping there's more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home