Friday, July 20, 2007

An early start on the holiday gifts...and other fun things I've been doing :)

First of all...Thank you to everyone for all your comments and kind wishes :))))) They really warmed my heart! I love you, man!!! lol! I just wanted to recognize everyone, before I go rambling on...and on...;P

I am one heck of a holiday procrastinator, but this year, I'm getting a head start. I want to do a Laura Ingalls Wilder holiday this year and give only handmade items. I have 8 people to cover...I guess you could take that literally! *grin* First on the list is my Mom's new husband Jack. He is going to get his first pair of toasty warm, made with love, wool socks :) I fugured that it would be safe to post this, because he doesn't read the ol' blog. I'm making a standard "guy" sock, using the Garter Rib pattern. I love how quickly this knits up! Lorna's Laces Shephard Sport in Black Watch was my choice for him. I have one done and I'm onto the second, surprisingly, I'm not suffering from second-sock-itis.




I've also been working on my first official wool garment for myself, other than socks or shawls I've made for other people...*gasp* I have never had any need to make sweaters in FLA, but now is my time to shine baby!! I traded someone super lovely for the yarn. ( I hope you're feeling better sweetness!) It's some gorgeous super-soft worsted Malabrigio in Tortoise Shell. For some reason the picture came out dark, but I think you can still see it. I'm making the Retro Redux Shrug from the book Lace Style. It's a really simple two-row brioche stiche, that is easy to remember, so I can work on it while Eli is awake! Can I get an Amen for that!



I've also spent the last few days finishing up an order for a super great California knitter, which I packed up this morning and shipped off to her. I had to take a picture, because I absolutely love seeing all of this color together...I was sad to see it go, but I know they're going to a good home.




Last but not least, I thought I would share a few pictures from my final days in Ireland. In my haste last month, I never got to finish up. Here is the castle that we stayed at, Ashford Castle in County Mayo:




At this castle, they offered falconry lessons, and it had to be one of THE most magnificent experiences I've ever had. The feeling of holding something so wild was amazing. The bird that I got to fly was a Harris Hawk.






When Eli gets a little bit older, I'll be looking into adopting my own falcon or hawk to work with, now that I'm in the proper area to have one :)




Ya'll have a good night now, ya hear! ;)

4 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Cary said...

Hurray for the holidays ;) Love all the knitting going on at your house!

Brooke, it just simply looks like you BELONGED in Ireland...like you are part of the landscape, you know? Now, not that I want to have you moving far, far away or anything....but it just looks like a good fit! I hope you will be able to visit there again some day, this time with Eli along!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger knitting2relax said...

An all knitted holiday sounds good. Maybe for next year. LOL

In answer to your question on my blog - Tuesday.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Knatty Knitter said...

oh Brooke, it is so wonderful to hear from you and to see all the wonderful things you have accomplished since last you blogged!! Moving must have been an incredible experience and I am so glad that you are both settling in well and happily. The mountains are a great place for a childhood (though I am very biased since I grew up around them too...heehee!) Well I have been just as bad about blogging recently, the degree is sucking the life out of me but I am here and I am alive and I look forward to the future this degree presents me. Lots of news to post, so I should get cracking. Speak to you soon love...and congrats again at all your wonderful achievements again! :)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Em said...

I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK! I can't stop yelling!
Really, really glad the move has worked out. There is so much to discuss and as soon as I finish wadding through the ridiculous amount of junk gathered in my email (check my blog) then I'll be emailing you to have a good long chat! Does that make any sense?;-)
Those sock colors are amazing! Absolutely to dye-for (geddit? I can't help myself). I'm so glad you got a picture of all those lovely hanks together.
And the Ireland shots- oh, the Ireland shots. Is there anything left to say that hasn't been said already? If so, I'm not clever enough to think of it. But feel free to recycle pictures at any point, just so we might come and look at them again.
Really can't wait to talk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home